The term Travel Intelligence refers to integrating the analysis of global and current data in the decision making process for the tourism sector. In other words, it is the ability to reduce uncertainty by using information obtained from a variety of data sources in real time.
Travel Intelligence is the operational implementation of what is known as Big Data. A term which is oftentimes ethereal and difficult to translate into actions and a clear return on investment.
The process between data and Travel Intelligence is illustrated in the pyramid below.
Data by itself lacks value if we’re unable to structure, aggregate and cross-analyse it to obtain more information.
Once the information is gathered, it can be enriched and complemented with data retrieved from other sources, thus broadening our knowledge. However, there is still a part of the equation missing: until knowledge is converted into concrete decisions, the end goal of Travel Intelligence will not be accomplished.
What Travel data do we analyse?
Nowadays, there is a vast ocean of data that can be used to identify and predict tourism trends. These can be complemented by historical and statistical data traditionally used in the sector.
In the concrete case of Mabrian Technologies, we have been working for over six years in aggregating data sources which provide a global and representative overview of tourism at the global level. In particular, we exploit the following types of tourism related data:
- Air Connectivity Data: flight schedules, prices, searches and bookings.
- Tourist Behaviour Data from Social Media: spontaneous interactions on Social Media which show perception trends and tourist interest.
- Accommodation data: hotels, holiday rental, prices and reviews.
- Spend Data: tourist spend with the use of credit and debit cards.
- Mobility Data: connectivity of mobile devices to mobile telephone network nodes at a destination to quantify visitor and tourist mobility.
The overlap of all of these layers of data enables us to have unprecedented knowledge regarding tourism dynamics. This provides a structure for our clients’ decision making process, thus ensuring a direct return on investment.
Do I need a Data Scientist? i.e. someone specialised in analysing data?
No. Luckily there are a variety of companies that can help throughout the whole process and who offer a turnkey solution.
Here at Mabrian Technologies, we have invested a lot of time and resources into developing our own cloud based consulting platform, a tourism observatory which offers the user a clear, straightforward and easy experience, adapted to the specific sector needs.
Our mission is to offer actionable information in a direct and clear way so that our end-users do not need advanced technological training.
What solutions does Travel Intelligence provide?
As mentioned, oftentimes terms such as Travel Intelligence and Big Data remain an abstract concept and it’s hard to understand their direct utility. That’s why, here at Mabrian Technologies, we are here to give you the answer. That goes for different sectors and different clients such as destination marketing organisations, hotels, airlines, tourist marketing agencies, etc.
- Measure the reputation of a destination: Perceived Security Index and tourist satisfaction levels
- Tourist interest and evolution
- Predict and analyse the tourist demand for a destination
- Ease of access to a destination: prices and air seats
- Volume of visitors, overnight stays and movement fluxes
- Most valuable tourists in terms of spend at destination.
These are only some ideas of how to directly apply the data, thus illustrating the potential of having access to this precise information for any type of decision making process, whether it be strategic, operational, marketing, revenue management, destination management, investments, etc.
Would you like to find out more?
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us via http://www.mabrian.com/ to find out more and to request a demo of our platform.